HABITATION SOLUTIONS provides sustainability consulting. Sustainability Consulting helps determine how a project can be built to reduce the amount of resources used and enhance the quality of the environment for the occupants.
LEED Sustainability Design, with respect to the planning of a house, can be looked at in many categories. They are as follows:
1. Innovation and the design process and how this can have positive effects on the environment.
2. Location and Linkages to the Community—how the selection of a location for a home can have positive effects on the environment. The quality of a location can be dependent on proximity to transit and amenities.
3. Selection and Planning of the Lot/Site—how the development of a lot can have positive effects on the environment. A well designed lot can result in less water runoff after a rainstorm and lower summertime temperatures.
4. Water Efficiency—how the selection of water using elements can have positive effects on the environment. High efficiency plumbing fixtures use far less water than standard plumbing fixtures.
5. Energy Efficiency—how the design and construction of a home and selection of energy efficient mechanical systems can have positive effects on the environment. A well-built home can reduce energy consumption and be far more comfortable for the occupants.
6. Material Selection—how this can have positive effects on the environment and occupants. The selection of VOC-free and urea-formaldehyde-free materials will result in better indoor air-quality and healthier and more comfortable occupants. Also, the amount of poisonous materials being produced will be decreased.
7. Indoor Environmental Quality–how this can have positive effects on the environment and occupants. A well-built, water-tight home will have far less mold and more healthy occupants.
8. Awareness and Education—how the house is used and operated can have positive effects on the environment. An informed occupant will be able to operate the home and its systems, save energy and resources, and be more comfortable.
HABITATION SOLUTIONS will study all of the categories listed above with their application to the design and construction of the home in the event this service was selected. The needs of the client would be assessed and a program would be developed.
If the LEED for Homes program were to be selected by the customer, a LEED for Homes provider would be secured.